Monday, July 14, 2008

Let Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On!

I remember the title very clearly in my mind but unfortunately I forgot who wrote it. Maybe , someone out there who happens to read my blog knows who? Anyway, music indeed is the food of love. Music is universal. It soothes the gentle beast in us. Many a time I witnessed even the mechanic who attends to my car whistles while he's busy changing spark plugs and tuning engines. Now, that shows a very happy and contented man.
We can lie about our age but we cannot lie if we are not happy. It shows! How can one sing and whistles when one is not in a happy and joyous mood. Even if we want to , we simply cannot do it.
Doctors now believe music can be used as a form of therapy. I , for one will attest to the fact that music does make my day. Many times when I hear a familiar tune on the radio or television, I will be immediately taken back to the times when events took place in my life. It could be a happy or sad occasion but it did bring back a lot of fond memories .
I have met many interesting people through music and I must say my life is evolved around music. Because of the love of music, we formed a band last year and played to our heart's content every week. We certainly looked forward to our jam sessions!

7 comments:

Liz said...

Hi Joe, please let me add my two sen worth of thoughts about music. BTW the quote is from William Shakespeare. Yeah I totally agree that music does all kinds of things to our nostalgic senses. Every song sends us to a different time of our life. Thanks for introducing hubby to the jam sessions. It's like he is given a second chance to relive his youth.

tk_ong said...

Hi Liz, your hubby is more than welcomed to our jam sessions. In fact, it looks like he is here to stay and he is certainly very at home with us.We get to relive our days yonder and every song that we play and sing takes us back to the times when we had our first date and so on.
I remember one time in 1973 when a female colleague asked me if I could play for her the song 'Butterfly'. The moment I started the intro, even before I sang the first note, she was about to cry. And when I sang the song , she burst into tears uncontrollably. When I finished, I asked her why she cried like that , she said it reminded her of her boyfriend who used to play the guitar and sang for her the song. She said he was killed in an accident not too long ago.
I, too, had some very nice memories when I hear songs like Funny, Funny or Chirpy, Chirpy, Cheep Cheep.
Well, we are glad that Joe could join us every Weds . You should make an effort to come too and be mesmerised again by his magic fingers on the guitar.
Cheere!

bayi said...

Hi Joe. My apologies for being a latecomer to your blog.

I did not realise that we have quite something in common. Your favourite movies are my favourite movies. I must have watched The Sound of Music countless times, enjoying each time more than the last. People just don't understand what I see in The King and I. Yul Bryner, of course.

And Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favourite books too. I used of have a black & white VHS tape for this movie but fungus grew on the tape when I was busy for a period and with a heavy heart I had to part with it.

Music, as I understand (thoug I don't play any musical instruments) is the supreme expression of one's feelings. One can write poetry, or paint, or act but there comes a time when one feels the limitations of these platforms and music becomes the ultimate form of expression for liberation.

I am glad that you have such a passion for music for it is through such passion that our lives take on new and more meaningful dimensions.

Way to go, Joe.

tk_ong said...

Hi, Yap. I am so surprised that we certainly share something in common. You know, once I started something and if I don't do it immediately, I tend to forget or rather become lazy and will start putting things off for awhile.It's people like you who gives us encouragement to continue doing what we set out to do. Anyway, do feel free to post more comments.I sure would like to keep my blog going albeit at a slower pace. It's our love for music and the performing arts that will see us through the years.
Maybe if we pass the word around, we might be able to find some blogger who still have the video of 'To Kill A Mockingbird'?
Will keep in touch!
Rgds, Joe.

bayi said...

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent."

- Victor Hugo

bayi said...

“ Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you feel a thought."
— E. Y. Harburg

bayi said...

I think music in itself is healing. It’s an explosive expression of humanity. It’s something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we’re from, everyone loves music.
— Billy Joel